Crist Slips in Florida Senate Race

And now to Florida, where the independent governor, the former Republican, Charlie Crist, is facing an increasingly uphill battle in his bid to become the state's next senator. In a just released CNN/"Time Magazine"/Opinion Research Corporation poll, Republican candidate Marco Rubio has the lead, with 42 percent of the vote. Charlie Crist trails with 31 percent, followed by the Democratic candidate, Kendrick Meek, with 23 percent.

Let's talk about this a little bit more with our senior political analyst, David Gergen.

Are you surprised that Rubio, who has been a favorite of the Tea Party movement, is doing as well as he is against Charlie Crist, who had been a pretty popular governor?

DAVID GERGEN, CNN SENIOR POLITICAL ANALYST, FORMER PRESIDENTIAL ADVISER: Well, a little surprised, Wolf. But it's consistent with a national trend we're seeing, and that is that there are a number of states where Barack Obama is below 50 percent, where Republicans are doing increasingly well in some of these Senate races. Marco Rubio is one good example. He started to pull away some.

And Illinois, another state where the Republican candidate for the Senate, Rob Portman, is starting to pull away some.

Whereas in California -- and I know you'll have more to say about this as the night goes on -- but in California, where Barack Obama remains popular -- above 50 percent -- you -- you have a strong race being run by the Democrats, both for the governor and for the Senate race.

So I think that has a lot to do with how these things are going. And, of course, in Florida, once -- you've got a three-way race. And -- and -- and Crist, the -- the Republican who turned Independent, is now caught in the squeeze between the Republican, Marco Rubio, who won the primary, and the -- and -- and -- and Meek, who is the Democratic candidate. You know, he's the third man out, in effect. And his numbers are starting to go down.

BLITZER: Yes. Take a look, though, at this ad that Kendrick Meek is now running directly aimed at Charlie Crist and trying to convince Democrats don't cross over and vote for this independent. Listen to this.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP) CHARLIE CRIST (I), FLORIDA SENATE CANDIDATE: I'm as about as conservative as you can get. I'm a Jeb Bush Republican. President Bush. He is a leader of courage and conviction.

I was impressed with Governor Palin being picked. I watched her speech today. I was very impressed.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I have to get your opinion on whether we should be drilling off the (INAUDIBLE) coast of Florida.

CRIST: I think it's something we ought to explore. And I'm a pro life, pro gun, anti-tax Republican. I think it's important for people to understand who the true conservative is in this race, and it's Charlie Crist.

(END OF VIDEO CLIP)

BLITZER: Yes. Well, that's a Kendrick Meek ad trying to convince Democrats and moderates, don't be misled, don't vote for Charlie Crist. Is it going to work?

GERGEN: Yes, that -- well, that's -- that's the very crossfire that's occurring. The way Marco Rubio went at him as -- on the Republican side when Crist was registered as a Republican, was he went out -- he went out and saying you're too close to Barack Obama. There is this famous picture of Crist in effect embracing Obama on the trip to Florida.

And now the Democrat is coming out at Crist from the other side saying he's way too conservative. Why would a Democrat vote for this conservative? That's what I mean by being caught in a crossfire and getting squeezed.

And his candidacy has -- is taking some. He is popular. It's interesting, you know, it's the same thing that's happened to Green in West Virginia where a very popular governor is now finding it to be a tough fight in a state where Barack Obama is not very popular.

And you -- and especially in Florida, you get this crossfire.

BLITZER: We're going to invite all three of them to join us here in THE SITUATION ROOM between now and November 2nd.

GERGEN: That's going to be --

BLITZER: In fact we're going to invite all of these major Senate candidates to join us because the voters have a right to take a look at these candidates.

So thanks very much, David, for that.

Transcript from CNN's The Situation Room aired September 29,2010